What to use for a diaper rash?
I have seen this question pop-up around social media A LOT!
Me being a Mommy of two have gone through this a few times myself. I tried all the home remedies I read on Google and Social Media. I tried all the old wife’s tales. Nothing seemed to help for the times our babies were teething more than one tooth at a time.
Some of the diaper rashes got so severe that you could see blood piercing through the skin.
FINALLY, I found something that worked wonders.
So, I would love to share our bum cream remedy that Hubby and I have put together.
We have been using it for years now.
We use it daily and have not had another diaper rash.
OUR BUM CREAM RECIPE:
- Vaseline Petroleum Jelly (I used the Johnson’s Baby Jelly Fragrance Free)
- Corn Starch (I used Maizena)
- Antipeol Ointment
(Antipeol contains Zinc oxide that is an effective treatment for severe nappy rash)
- Zinc and Castor Oil cream (I used Clicks brand)
- 1/2 litre container with lid
- Scoop the Vaseline into container (250ml)
- Empty Antipeol Ointment tube (18g) into container
- Empty Zinc and Castor Oil cream (125ml)
- Pour 6 heaped tablespoons of the Corn Starch into container (90ml)
- MIX WELL (ensure there are no corn starch clots, you want a smooth texture)
Note: If the mixture seems runny, you may add (little-by-little) more corn starch to thicken to a paste consistency
- Store in sealed container @ room temperature
- Use with every diaper change
My suggestions regarding a diaper rash:
- You can give your babies a rooibos tea bath
(simply add the rooibos tea bag to the water and let it steep until the water has changed in color)
- After bathing, ensure the area is clean and properly dry (air-drying the rash is best)
- Apply the above bum cream recipe
Note: You can sprinkle additional corn starch on top of the bum cream (like powder) to ensure the area keeps dry for longer
- Change the diaper as soon as possible after they get soiled or wet. Check the diaper at least every 2 hours
- Ensure your hands are clean before changing a diaper and wash thoroughly after as well
- Avoid using wipes until the rash has completely subsided, wipe with a warm clean cloth, air-dry and apply bum cream
- Get a good probiotic for your baby to use daily (I use Reuterina Probiotic Drops)